Holiday Classroom Decorating Ideas
Christmas and Hanukkah are two of the most celebrated holidays this time a year. It’s hard to believe they are already right around the corner, and I’m sure decorating your classroom (or playroom) has crossed your mind. Here are some great holiday classroom decorating ideas which will fit your needs and make your room stand out from the crowd!
- Christmas Trees: Christmas tree decorations can be a great way to spice up your classroom. Use paper chains to make a tree as long or short as you like. You could also use the children’s hand prints and make a tree that will be as unique as your students! If you do not feel like taking on such a big project, you can always start with a tree (example to the right) and combine your own handmade decorations with the bulbs it comes with. You can have your students make their own ornaments out of paper and “hang” them on the tree. Here is one neat ornament idea made with Popsicle sticks.
- Reindeer: Reindeer are very popular with the kids and there are TONS of ideas for reindeer door decorations. This one is just the reindeer and bright nose, or you can make a stable out of your door and have a few reindeer. This reindeer got caught up in the lights! I think your kids would love one like it!
- Gingerbread House: Gingerbread houses are fun to make and can be as creative as you want them to be. Get the kids involved and make a gingerbread house using your classroom door. There are lots of cute ideas out there, but one can also make their gingerbread houses suit their classroom candy preference.
- Elf on a Shelf: Does your class have an Elf on the Shelf? If so you will LOVE this door idea that includes a miniature door… for the elf! Here is another classic elf, Christopher Pop in Kins, as an alternative to Elf on a Shelf
- Use photos on your bulletin board of your students. Make them elves in Santa’s Workshop, Reindeer pulling Santa’s sleigh, or names on a stocking!
- Make a themed board of the North Pole, a gingerbread house, or winter wonderland.
- For more bulletin board theme ideas check out this post.
- Themed Trees: I LOVE the idea of incorporating a theme into your classroom decorations. Maybe your class has a favorite book, sport or game. Make your classroom tree a themed one and incorporate your favorite things into your tree decorations. Examples would be a Dr. Seuss themed tree, or a tree full of basketball decorations. Find something your class agrees on and make your tree themed!
- Student Names: Are you looking for ways to incorporate your students names into your classroom decorations? Check out these awesome decorating ideas that are sure to make your classroom stand out!
- Light Bulbs: Use construction paper to cut out light bulb shapes. Then add each student’s name to a light bulb. Use wire to string them along the classroom. It adds bright decorations and fits in with the holiday season.
- Elves: I think this is one of the cutest things I have seen! Take a photo of each child and let them make an elf suit. Add their picture, hang them up and voila! You have a classroom full of elves.
- Jewish Stars: If you want to include the Jewish holiday Hanukkah in your classroom decorations these stars are a great way! They are simple to make, and will help make your room inclusive.
Hanukkah Menorah: This is another great decoration for a classroom window!